Friday, June 15, 2007

To the Square!


Last night, we went to downtown Arequipa. What a wonderful city! We walked around in the commercial district, Arequipa´s Michigan Avenue. The shops range from men´s clothes, to electronics, to casinos, and pratically everything you need. The streets here remind me of narrow Italian streets, barely enough room for two cars on opposite sides of the street. We walked into a multilevel mall that had many cool and interesting Inca art for sale. (Whoaa!). But the most fun part of the downtown would have to be the square. I think the square was the most facinating. On one side of the four-sided square, there is a gigantic church. (as seen right) Look how beautiful it is!

Today, I went through my first day of school. It is quite different than the average American school. The students stay in the same classroom, and the teachers come to their classroom; much different from my school back home. They have 4 classes, each 2 hours. Between classes, they have a 15 minue break. During the break, you can rest, play soccer or go to the ¨cafeteria¨ (much more like a snack bar). The school is also very nice, with many different buildings. We had part of one class outside under the trees.

Later today, I´m going to get together with my fellow classmates and have some pizza. I can´t wait to tell you more. So, Have a good day!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Oooh found your blog! :O Haha, how are you, Zach? It seems like you've liked Arequipa, I'm really glad! Hope everyone is treating you nicely :) Anyways, have a blast, enjoy it all, go to parties! (Also different here, we have salsa ;) Aaand have amazing vacations!

Unknown said...

Oh and ask your friends to make you listen to "Siente el Boom".. Umm.. dunno if u'll like it but.. umm.. umm.. 8-).. Ok I'd been obsessed with it like until 3 weeks ago! Haha, bye, take care!

latonita33 said...

Zach,
Please send my love to your fellow classmates! I am so proud of you for embarking on this incredible adventure. I can't wait to hear more. While living in Ecuador, I was able to visit Peru. I would have liked to have seen more. I will live through your descriptions of what I missed. Take care and enjoy!
Sra. Fink

Zach Komes said...

Thanks Vic and Sra. Fink :) Everything is going great, and I´ll keep updating you on how it´s going. :D Thanks

Noor said...

hey its like the same in here, teachers cum 2 the class, its like u have 2 be there cuz its ur class and so ur stuck!!! o.O but anyways its fun!! cuz all of the classmates can gang up against teachers n make comments n stick 2 each otha

I'd luv 2 change this routine tho! but its alright 4 now! :D