Thursday, June 21, 2007

Free Speach.. er no


Yesterday was the hielba, or strike, in Arequipa. The taxi drivers and public transportation workers protested the unfair gas prices in Peru, as they probally were most affected by the price. I did not personally see it, but my friends say it was very interesting to see. Suposidly, they blockaded the streets with large rocks and threw things at cars. They said there were police everywhere, just waiting to strike them.

The protests here are dangerous, and most citizens don´t leave their homes. The city is shut down in fear the the protesters will hurt them. In the past, the army was even called in. But, luckilly, not today.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Cooool! You've seen more than I have in my life in Peru ;) Haha strikes in Lima are really... "soft", I've only seen the ones involving the police on TV.

Zach Komes said...

Hehe.. thats something no average tourist can proclaim :)

Anonymous said...

that`s cool. ;]

zach is my loverrrrrr.

Noor said...

hey that's cool, I wanna see a strike!! :P they never happen here though. anyways it cud've been more dangerous, I guess!

n zach what is goin on? "zach is my lover"??? TELL US!! :P

Unknown said...

Yeah Zach, tell us! =O! lol

Zach Komes said...

hahaha.

Laura´s by bestfriend. :)

Noor said...

yeah right *rolling my eyes* what do u say vic, shud we believe him?? :P:P jk!

Unknown said...

Mmm I dunno 8-)..! It seems like umm! Haha, kidding too.

Waed S. said...

hey there, I added ur blog to mine , if that's ok with u ! ;)
WAED

Lu said...

Hey Zach! :D
Wow Peru looks so cool! I wasn't on because I was on vacations... now I'm here again.
Later I'll link your blog to mine n_n or maybe now.

Karina said...

the police are no longer called in cause the rape women, steal from ppl's homes, trafficate drugs and are aggressive, lol

i personally fear policemen as most peruvians do, they're more dangerous than a simple burglar with guns saying 'I'm gonna killa' x) policemen are the law here